The official plans for the park were unveiled to the public when Universal Studios Singapore released a map of the park to the public on 20 October 2009.
Universal Studios Singapore was opened for sneak peek week in view of the Chinese New Year Celebrations, from 5pm to 9pm every night between 14 to 21 February, 2010. The whole park was opened but none of the rides were operational. Visitors had to pay SGD10 to get into the park. Park tickets for the week were sold out in 2 days. On 05 March 2010, it was announced that the park will start opening on 8:28am (UTC+8) 18 March, 2010, for a soft-opening phase. From 13 March, 2010 the team members of Resorts World Sentosa and their families can start visiting the park before the public has a chance to do so.
The park is 20 hectares (49 acres) in size, occupying the easternmost part of the 49 hectares (120 acres) Resorts World Sentosa. There are a total of 24 attractions, of which 18 are original or specially adapted for the park. It consists of seven uniquely themed zones which surround a lagoon. Each zone is based on a blockbuster movie or television show, featuring their own unique attractions, character appearances, dining and shopping areas. The park will feature the world's tallest Dueling roller coaster based on the hit television show Battlestar Galactica, a castle from the world of Shrek and Monster Rock, a live musical show by the infamous Universal Monsters as well as celebrity Look-alikes. The park also includes about 30 restaurants and food carts together with 20 unique retail stores and carts located around the park.
The park is home to the world’s biggest single collection of DreamWorks Animation theme park attractions, occupying 2 of the 7 themed zones, namely based on "Far Far Away" from Shrek and the island of "Madagascar" from the computer-animated movie Madagascar.
A total of 18 attractions opened on the Opening Day of the park, along with multiple shopping and dining outlets. Universal Parks & Resorts is marketing the park as a "one-of-its-kind theme park in Asia" as they promised that the park will be the only one of its kind in Southeast Asia for the next 30 years.
During the soft opening of Universal Studios Singapore on 18 March 2010, the Genting Group chairman mentioned that the park would bring in more rides over the next three years to keep the experience "fresh" for visitors.
Outside the Park
There are some retail outlets at the Park Entrance.
- That's a Wrap - A retail outlet by the theme park entrance. Visitors can pick up apparel, toys, novelty hats and other last minute souvenirs.
- HERSHEY®'S Chocolate Store - A retail outlet selling HERSHEY®'s chocolates, sweets, as well as plush-toys.
Seven themed zones make up Universal Studios Singapore. Attractions premiering are marked "Premiere". Dining Outlets that are Halal certified are marked with "Halal".
The Hollywood zone is based on the real life Hollywood Boulevard, it is the main zone of the park as it is the first zone that visitors enter upon arrival the park. Hollywood is hosting the Pantages Hollywood Theater which is a Broadway-style theater to host plays, musicals and performances. Visitors will also be able to experience the dynamic architecture, palm trees and the famous Walk of Fame which are all iconic of Hollywood Boulevard. Hollywood hosts a variety of flagship stores and will be the primary shopping area of the park.
- Pantages Hollywood Theatre - (Premiere) Set in a 1,500-seat indoor theater, featuring the infamous Universal Monsters in a rock-n-roll musical.
- Universal Studios Store - The flagship store of the entire park, it offers a wide variety of themed collectibles, toys and apparel from all 7 zones.
- The Dark Room - A store selling a wide variety of camera accessories for visitors' photography needs.
- Superstar Candies - A candy store focusing on selling sweets to visitors such as candy floss and homemade fudge.
- Silver Screen Collectibles - A retail outlet offering celebrity photos and posters, collectibles, books, as well as Betty Boop themed souvenirs and apparel.
- Star Characters - A retail outlet selling exclusive merchandise of DreamWorks Animation characters like Alex the Lion, Gloria the Hippo, Marty the Zebra and Melman the Giraffe and don't forget those crazy penguins.
- The Brown Derby - At Hollywood's famed hat-shaped landmark, guests can shop for headwear of all types including visors, character and novelty hats and wigs, Universal Studios logo caps and other stylish lids.
Food and Beverage
- Mel's Drive-In - (Halal)From the hit movie American Graffiti, this '50s drive-in serves up burgers and cokes the old-fashioned way and features golden oldies on the jukebox and delicious Burgers, Fries, Chicken Sandwiches, Chicken Fingers, Onion Rings, Root Bear Floats and Frosty Milk Shakes.
- Hollywood China Bistro - Guests can feast on traditional Cantonese cuisine with a modern twist in an art deco Chinese restaurant setting straight out of a Hollywood movie set.
- Celebrity Café and Bakery - (Halal)Guests can dine with stars over freshly-made sandwiches, puff pastry pies and classic desserts.
- PO - Kung Fu Panda - Po's main interest lies in the martial arts, of which he has developed an encyclopedic knowledge. He is able to recall the lore of warriors, famous combat moves, dates and historic artifacts. When upset, he usually gorges on food to dull the pain.
- Frankenstein's Monster - One of the most famous movie characters in history, the creature is a sensitive, emotional being, which is depicted as mute. The creature discovers feelings through childlike interactions. The Monster is a symbol of a lumbering brute, with arms outstretched.
- Woody Woodpecker - He's crazy, colorful and more than just a little off the wall. He's Woody Woodpecker, the lovable bird with a heart of gold and a one-in-a-million laugh.
- Winnie Woodpecker - Woody Woodpecker's girlfriend and female counterpart.
- Marilyn Monroe - The subtle, sexy American icon.
- Charlie Chaplin The Oscar winning Silent Screen icon during The Tramp period of his career.
- Beetlejuice - The “ghost with the most” possesses minds, bodies and souls — making him the ultimate puppet master. This obnoxious and slightly perverted "bio-exorcist” revels in his grotesque appearance. The character's history is a mystery; his age and even how he came to die remain unknown.
- Betty Boop - With her sex symbol appeal, combined with girl-like persona, this vibrant young woman (with a childlike voice) has more heart than brains.
- Scorpion King - The last true warrior who made a deal with Anubis in a bid for revenge.
- Anck Su Namun - A beautiful mistress with an agenda, who will go to any lengths to get what she wants.
The New York zone is based on the original New York City, its features are the trademark city skyline, neon lights, façades and sidewalks as well as the romantic atmosphere of the Big Apple, as commonly portrayed in movies. New York also hosts the attraction, 'Lights! Camera! Action!'. Hosted by renowned director and producer, Steven Spielberg, this attraction features a special effects stage giving visitors a behind the scenes look on movie sets. This zone also boasts none other than the city's world famous cuisine, barbecue grills served in pizza parlors, to name a few.
- Lights! Camera! Action! Hosted by Steven Spielberg - (Premiere)Hosted by Steven Spielberg, guests can be blown away by the filmmakers' incredible special effects as an empty sound stage becomes the setting for a major hurricane about to hit New York City.
- Stage 28 - (Premiere)Guests can unravel the secrets of film production at this fully-outfitted state-of-the-art sound stage for motion picture and television production. Guests can see some of Universal feature films and props and get behind the scenes and see real film production right before their very own eyes.
Food and Beverage
- KT's Grill - A full service restaurant serving Authentic New York Grill cuisine, with a rich woodwork interior reminiscent of a 1940's NY dinner house. Menu includes classic New York grill entrées, sandwiches, soups and salads; along with a fresh oyster bar and Pacific Rim influenced "East meets West" dishes.
- Loui's NY Pizza Parlor - A Pizza Parlor unique to Singapore selling a wide variety of traditional Italian pizzas as well as some local Singapore favourites including Hawaiian pizza, tandoori chicken pizza, vegetarian pizza and more.
The Sci-Fi City is a real-life imagination of how a common metropolis of the future would look like containing the many modern conveniences of life as well as the remnants of past inhabitants and cultures which were once part of the city as well as international visitors from all over the world and other planets. The city is based on the popular television series, Battlestar Galactica, and features the world's tallest Dueling roller coaster.
- - (Premiere) A suspended track including several inversions, intense corkscrews and a cobra roll.
- - (Premiere) A sit down track with no inversions. It zooms at a speed of 90km/h and narrowly avoids collisions as it twists, turns and propels you over 14 storeys in the air.
- Transformers - (Premiere)Opening in 2011. It will be the 20th attraction in Universal Studios Singapore and the ride is set to premiere in Singapore, then in Universal Studios Hollywood
- Accelerator - (Premiere)A whirling twirling attraction spinning guests around. Similar to the ride, Storm Force Accelatron, found in Islands of Adventure at Universal Orlando Resort.
- Galactica PX - A retail outlet selling Sci-Fi collectible merchandise.
Ancient Egypt is based on the historical adaptation of Ancient Egypt during the 1930s Golden Age of Egyptian Exploration, it features obelisks and pyramids which are typical of Ancient Egypt. Also featured are Pharaoh's tombs which were commonly discovered during that era, visitors would take the role of a daring archaeologist who aims to unravel the riddles of the Sphinx in this sand-swept lands. The Revenge of the Mummy attraction which is an extremely popular attraction at other Universal Studios around the world is also located and is based on the popular film franchise, The Mummy, starring Brendan Fraser.
- Revenge of the Mummy - A high-speed psychological thrill ride through sharp turns and fast reverse, as it pits guests against fireballs, scarab beetles and robotic warrior mummies — all in total darkness.
- Treasure Hunters - (Premiere)A car ride where guests can drive their own vintage desert jeep through an abandoned Egyptian excavation site.
- Carter’s Curiosities - A retail outlet selling Egyptian treasures, such as replicas of historical artifacts or fossils discovered from ancient Egyptian ruins.
Food and Beverage
- Oasis Spice Café - (Premiere)An Egyptian-themed buffeteria serving specialties flavored with Mediterranean, Turkish, Lebanese and Indian Spices.
The Lost World
Divided into two themed areas: Jurassic Park and WaterWorld, this zone contains many traditional attractions present in most Universal Studios parks around the world. Jurassic Park is based on the popular film franchise by Steven Spielberg based on the novels by Michael Crichton. The zone features the newly redesigned Jurassic Park Rapids Adventure which is based on the popular Jurassic Park River Adventure attraction in other Universal Studios parks. Waterworld contains mainly water-based attractions and is based on the film Waterworld starring Kevin Costner.
- Canopy Flyer - (Premiere)Guests are tucked safely under the wings of a flying Pteranodon, soaring over the lush foliage of Jurassic Park and will get a prehistoric bird's eye view as the coaster gently glides over the tree-tops.
- Jurassic Park Rapids Adventure - (Premiere)A river rapids version of the attraction, Jurassic Park River Adventure, it features a white water raft system and thrill seekers on circular rafts will be tossed on waterways within the Jurassic Park compound, where prehistoric creatures roam free and guests will plunge down from the Hydroelectric Generator compound at the finale.
- - Based on the 1995 blockbuster film Waterworld, guests can witness a tidal wave of death-defying stunts, awesome explosions and thrills at this sensational live water show.
- Amber Rock Climb - (Premiere)Guests can scale the walls of The Lost World to explore precious stones and fossilised insects. A treasure awaits those agile enough to climb their way to the top. Visitors must pay an additional SGD10 for 1 climb.
- Dino-Soarin' - (Premiere)Children can ride and pilot their pterodactyl, either soaring up into the sky or plunging down into the shadows.
- Jurassic Outfitters - Guests can equip themselves for the jungles of Isla Nublar with official Jurassic Park apparel, hats, toys, adventure gear and more. The beach towels will also come in handy after the Jurassic Park Rapids Adventure's splashdown.
- The Dino-Store - A dino-mite store full of innovative Jurassic Park souvenirs to be discovered.
Food and Beverage
- Fossil Fuels - Guests can refuel their energy here by chomping on a light snack, quick meal or a couple of refreshing frozen drinks at this tropical jungle store.
- Discovery Food Court - Guests can savour Singapore's best selection of Laksa, chicken rice and other local delights in this Discovery Center building that was featured in the original Jurassic Park movie.
Far Far Away
Far Far Away is inspired by DreamWorks Animation’s hit Shrek franchise which how the rich fairy-tale characters lived in daily life. The zone consists of many recognizable locations from the film series such as Shrek's swamp house as well as Far Far Away's glamorous Romeo Drive which contains the nightspots of the town such as Hook's Knight Club. The highlight of the zone is the Far Far Away Castle which is a world's first, it hosts attractions such as Shrek 4-D and Donkey Live featuring the voice talents of Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy, Antonio Banderas and Cameron Diaz.
- Shrek 4-D Adventure - Help save Princess Fiona in a totally in-your-face fairy tale adventure. Through the miracle of OgreVision you’ll see, hear, and actually FEEL the action right from your seat! (Ride Duration: 17 minutes)
- Donkey Live - (Premiere)Shrek’s fairy tale sidekick Donkey will entertain the guests in this all-new interactive live show, where guests sing along and even talk with Donkey in an intimate theatre setting. Located at Hook's Night Club and hosted by Hook.
- Enchanted Airways - (Premiere)Climb aboard Donkey’s beloved Dragon for a flight over Far Far Away and beyond in the form of a junior roller-coaster ride serving destinations throughout the world of Shrek.
- Magic Potion Spin - (Premiere)A miniature ferris wheel for the children, it drives a clinking, clanking potion assembly line that circles the room, bottling magical elixirs from a giant wooden vat. Located in the Fairy Godmother's Potion Shop. (Ride Duration: 1 minute and 30 seconds)
- Fairy Godmother's Potion Shop - A large retail outlet where visitors can buy Shrek memorabilia, fantasy candies, drinks, colorful elixirs and gifts, such as exciting toys and games from the wonderful world of Shrek to bring away. The miniature Ferris Wheel Magic Potion Spin is located right at the back of this retail outlet. Interactive stations will also be set up for kids.
Food and Beverages
- Fairy Godmother’s Juice Bar - A shop selling magical concoctions.
- Goldilocks - (Halal)Located at Romeo Drive, Goldilocks is a dining outlet serving up buckets of homemade special 7-spice "chicken done just right!" as well as the most delicious fish and chips and chicken sandwiches in all of Far Far Away, together with tasty sides like fresh mash potatoes with gravy, coleslaw and French fries.
- Friar’s - Located at Romeo Drive, Friar's is a dining outlet offering fast and delicious food on the go where guests can select from a unique variety of hot and cold specialty sandwich wraps including Thai peanut chicken wrap, tandoori chicken wrap, turkey wrap, veggie wrap, accompanied with freshly made "season it yourself" potato chips.
- Shrek - Shrek is a large, green, physically intimidating ogre. Despite him being an ogre, his personality is the opposite of typical ogres as he is a peace-loving creature who lives in a swamp in solitude.
- Donkey - Donkey is the loud, obnoxious and straightforward sidekick of Shrek. He is the host of his own attraction, Donkey Live, where he entertains visitors with his quick-witted improvisational skills.
- Puss In Boots - Puss in Boots is a swashbuckler who speaks with a Spanish accent, he likes to use his cute cat eyes to charm his enemies before attacking them.
- Princess Fiona - Princess Fiona is a human princess who was cursed to become an ogre every day after sunset, she fell in love with Shrek after being rescued by him in the first film.
Journey to Madagascar is inspired by the hit DreamWorks Animation franchise, Madagascar which featured four zoo animals escaping from the New York Zoo and unfortunately crashing onto the island of Madagascar. The zone features lush tropical jungles as well as an immersive river ride together with state of the art animated figures, digital projection as part of the attraction, Madagascar: A Crate Adventure. The attraction will feature the famous voice talents of Ben Stiller, Chris Rock, David Schwimmer and Jada Pinkett Smith.
- - (Premiere)Opening in Mid-2010.</br>Join our four heroes Alex, Marty, Melman and Gloria on a river boat adventure complete with state-of-the-art animated figures, digital projection, evocative sound, and moving show-action effects that create a one-of-a-kind, immersive ride experience. (Ride duration: 9 minutes and 30 seconds)
- King Julien’s Beach Party-Go-Round - (Premiere)Be a part of King Julien’s Party crazy carousel with crazy lemurs and pesky foosas as you go up and down and round and round enjoying all the Madagascar characters. (Ride duration: 2 minutes)
- Penguin Mercantile - A retail outlet located at the exit of for visitors to grab some silly keepsakes inspired by the many characters of Madagascar, such as plush hats, key fobs, T-shirts and other assorted keepsakes inspired by the many characters of Madagascar, as well as photos of visitors during the adventure on their way back out.
Food and Beverages
- Marty's Casa Del Wild - A café hosted by Marty the Zebra serving a variety of lip-smacking South East Asian specialties such as Nasi Padang, Pad Thai, Chicken Rice, Thai Green Chicken Curry, Tom Yum Soup and Asian Rotisserie Chicken.
- Gloria’s Snack Shack - A food store hosted by Gloria offering Japanese-inspired quick bites such as yakitori, rice bowls and invigorating thirst-quenchers.