The bridge was built in the early 18th century, and was dedicated as National Monument and memorial of independence in 1920.
Near to the bridge are located the following secondary monuments:
- The Von Miller monument, depicting five allegoric female figures (Symbolic of Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, Ecuador and Bolivia) holding Simón Bolívar.
- The Francisco de Paula Santander statue.
- The Triumphal Arch, depicting the three main races (caucasian, African and native American) that combined into the Colombian ethnic mix.
- The Flags Square, with The Liberty Fire; a perpetual gas-ignited flame.
- The chapel, with four daily masses.