The Dubai fountain, designed by WET Design, can spray 22,000 gallons (83,000 liters) of water in the air at any moment. More than 6,600 lights and 25 colour projectors have been installed. The Dubai fountains project water in the air in many different combinations and patterns.The beam of light shining upward from the fountain can be seen from over 20 miles away, and is visible from space making it the brightest spot in the Middle East, and possibly in the entire world.. The fountain lake fills the gap between the Dubai Mall, The palace hotel, Souk Al Bahar and The Address Downtown Burj Dubai.
The fountain performance starts at 6pm with performances every half-hour until 8pm. Between 8pm and 11pm, music-water displays occur every 20 minutes, there are 14 daily performances. Performances include:
- "Baba Yetu", a Swahili song for the computer game "Civilization IV", composed by Christopher Tin
- "Con te partirò" ("Time to Say Goodbye") by Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman.
- "Dhoom Thana", a Hindi song from the film Om Shanti Om.
- "Sama Dubai-an Emirati", a tribute by Emaar Properties to Sheikh Mohammed's leadership.
- "Shik Shak Shok", an Arabic dance song by Hassan Abou El Seoud.
- "Waves" ("Amvaj") by Bijan Mortazavi.
- "Bassbor Al Fourgakom" by Hussain Al Jassmi.
There are also interludes with the fountains showing its capabilities but without a musical accompaniment.
Testing of the fountain began in February, and April of 2009 and the fountain was officially opened on 8 May 2009 along with the official opening ceremony of the Dubai Mall.
- Downtown Burj Dubai
- List of development projects in Dubai