The American Airlines Arena is a sports and entertainment arena located in Downtown Miami, Florida along Biscayne Bay. It was constructed as a replacement for the Miami Arena and was designed by the architecture firms Arquitectonica and 360 Architecture. It is home to the Miami Heat of the National Basketball Association.
The Women's National Basketball Association team Miami Sol
played at the arena from the team's birth in 2000 until the team's
folding in 2002.
American Airlines maintains the American Airlines Arena Travel
Center at the venue.<ref>"Miami
And Coral Gables, FL Travel Center." American Airlines.
Retrieved on April 9, 2009.</ref>
The American Airlines Arena is served by the Miami Metrorail at
Historic Overtown/Lyric Theatre Station and directly by the
Metromover's Freedom Tower Station and Park West Station.
- American Airlines Arena should not be confused with the
American Airlines Center, which is located in Dallas.
- The American Airlines Arena as well as the American Airlines
Center, hosted the 2006 NBA Finals, in which the Miami Heat played
the Dallas Mavericks. Because of this, the series was nicknamed by
some as the American Airlines series.
- As part of its sponsorship arrangement, American Airlines had a
giant aircraft painted on top of the arena's roof, with an American
Airlines logo in the center. The design is visible from airplanes
taking off and landing at Miami
International Airport, where American has a hub. The arena also
has luxury skyboxes called "Flagship Lounges," a trademark
originally used for American's premium-class lounges at certain
- The arena sits on the former location of part of the
Bicentennial Park street circuit used for IMSA and CART
- The arena was the setting for the highly publicized MTV Video
Music Awards, both in 2004 and 2005. Both events brought millions
of dollars into the Miami-Dade County economy.
- The arena hosted WCW Uncensored 2000, World Wrestling
Entertainment's Royal Rumble event on January 29, 2006, and
Survivor Series on November 18, 2007. It's also hosted WWE Raw on
January 1, 2007, and WWE SmackDown/ECW on April 1, 2008. WWE
returned to the arena on July 14, 2009 for Smackdown/ECW, and WWE
SmackDown/ECW on December 18, 2009. The arena is scheduled to host
WWE Raw on June 7th, 2010 and was scheduled to host WWE Survivor
Series 2010, but WWE announced in February 11, 2010 that the
Survivor Series has been dropped, but a new event will take place
in its place in the arena.
- Local sportscasters often refer to the arena as the "triple-A".
Some sports reporters on the local news stations such as WSVN have
referred to the arena as "A3" (A cubed).
- The arena is scheduled to play host to 1st and 2nd round games
in the 2009 NCAA Tournament.
- The arena is known for its unusual scoreboard, which changes
colors depending on the atmosphere.
- The Waterfront Theater is a theater within the arena that can
seat between 3,000 and 5,800. It is Florida's largest
theater and can be used for not only concerts but also family,
Broadway and other stage shows.
- For concerts in an arena configuration, end stage capacity is
12,202 for 180-degree shows, 15,402 for 270-degree shows, 18,309
for 360-degree shows. For center stage concerts the arena can seat
- The American Airlines Arena also hosted the first UFC event in
the state of Florida, UFC 42: Sudden Impact, on April 25,
- In December 2003, Vermont-based jamband
Phish played 4 consecutive nights at the American Airlines Arena,
the last of which being a 3 set New Year's Eve show. Phish will be
playing another 4 night run beginning on December 28, 2009 and
culminating on New Year's Eve.
- In November 2002, Cher's performed at AAA for an NBC special
which aired in April 2003, winning an Emmy.
- Two shows of the US leg of Madonna's Confessions Tour
recently took place at the arena, in late July.
- Latin mega-star Shakira held 5 shows for her North American leg
of the Oral Fixation Tour in the arena; 2 in September and 3 in
- The arena was featured in the 2004 Xbox game
- On March 28, 2004, Britney Spears performed to a sold out show
as part of The Onyx Hotel Tour. The show was broadcasted live over
- The 2004 and 2005 MTV Video Music Awards were held there.
Celebrities entered by yacht rather than by limousine.
- On March 3, 2006, Queen + Paul Rodgers performed their Queen +
Paul Rodgers Tour at the arena.
- Architectural design team members included: George Heinlein,
Reinaldo Borges, and Lance Simon.
- The arena was host to the American Idol 2008 auditions on
August 20-22nd, 2007.
- The Arena was host of two concerts of the Argentinian rock band
Soda Stereo on December 4, December 5, 2007.
- Kanye West performed his Glow In The Dark Tour featuring
N*E*R*D, Lupe Fiasco, and Rihanna on May 6, 2008.
- Tina Turner performed her at the arena before a sell-out crowd
of over 17,500 on October 30, 2008.
- Celine Dion performed her Taking Chances Tour at the arena on
January 23, 2009 and set an attendance record making it the largest
crowd in the arena's history.
- "See through" shot-clocks from Daktronics have now been added
in place of the older units.*
- Britney Spears performed as part of her Tour at the arena on
March 7, 2009. She set an attendance record with a sell-out crowd
of 18,644, beating out Celine Dion who previously gathered a 17,725
crowd. It is noted as the largest concert attendance in the arena's
history as of 2009.